Arizona State Council Knights of Columbus - Fraternal Year 2018-2019
A Higher Purpose
Oﬀer an athletic outlet for youth ages 9 to 14 through fun free throw competition. Councils can sponsor a competition by ordering a Free Throw Championship Kit, or volunteer to host and/or support the district, regional and state/province championships.
Since 1972, councils have sponsored the Knights of Columbus Free Throw Championship for boys and girls from the ages of 9 to 14 to provide an athletic outlet and encourage the values of sportsmanship and healthy competition. Kids compete within their own gender and age and progress from local level to district, regional and state/province competitions. This program is a great way to introduce the Order to your community and recruit faithful family men of service.
Chairman Role and Responsibilities
• Set a date, location and time for the Free Throw Championship.
• Ensure that the event is properly staﬀed and safely run, according to rules and regulations.
• Train volunteers in the Safe Environment protocols (www.kofc.org/safe). A minimum of two volunteers must be Safe Trained.
• Promote the event to local media.
• Complete and submit all associated reporting forms to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission.
1. Order the Free Throw Kit(#FT-KIT) through Supplies Online, the supply ordering portal available on Oﬃcers Online.
2. Set a date, location and time for the Free Throw Championship. If required by venue, acquire insurance.
3. Contact schools and youth centers to explain and promote the program. Suggest that the schools or youth centers consider using this activity as part of their physical education classes.
4. Prior to the Free Throw Championship, use the sample press release as a model to create and distribute a tailored release to local media.
5. Build public interest for the event! Promote the Free Throw Championship in your parish and larger community through a variety of eﬀorts:
• Prominently display promotional posters (found in the Free Throw Kit(#FT-KIT))
• Bulletin announcements
• Pulpit announcements
• Posting on your council and parish website / social media pages
6. Coordinate with the district and state/province leadership regarding date, time, and location of the next level of competition. On the day of the event, provide this information to the council-level winners.
7. Preregistration is recommended, but sometimes diﬃcult to execute.
8. Hold the Free Throw Championship! Review the Free Throw Playbook(#1928) for guidelines, volunteer requirements, and other information.
9. On the day of the event, wear Knights of Columbus-branded apparel and have the council membership director set up a table with brochures and membership documents (including Prospect Cards#921A). Do not forget that this event is a recruiting opportunity!
10. Enlist a fellow Knight or community member to photograph the event.
11. Following the Free Throw Championship, update the community on the success of your program by amending the Free Throw Championship sample announcement and distributing it to local media, along with energizing photographs from the event.
12. Send winning Free Throw Score Sheets(#1598) to the next level of competition.
13. To gain credit for your program, complete the associated reporting forms and submit them to the Supreme Council Department of Fraternal Mission. Remember to retain copies for your council records.